Julie with a B

Sunday, January 23, 2005
 
Horse addiction #2
So today I rode Bandit and it was so wonderful. We have this conversation - he listens with his body - he knows how I feel. Very sensitive. How is that? Well we were going at a full gallop down the arena, I straighten my shoulders and stiffen my back and in 3 strides he comes to a collected halt. This isn't the mouth wrenching, hind legs sliding, halt of a cow horse. He just stops. When we are moving and I want us to turn, most of what I do is look where I want to go. The subtle shifts of my body, plus a few soft movements and he turns. An onlooker, unless well trained, would never see the changes. We dance together. If we are walking in a straight line, and I hold the right rein and press a little with my left leg, he walks sideways, one foot stepping across the other, front and back. We can do this at the walk, the trot, and the canter. Today, we waltzed down the center of the arena, 3 steps straight, 3 steps left, 3 steps straight, 3 steps to the right, etc. Dancing with my partner.

|

<< Home

Powered by Blogger