Julie with a B

Monday, March 14, 2005
 
Horses, gardens, and roses, Oh my!
I haven't written much lately. The weather has been way too beautiful to do anything but go outside. Over the weekend, I rode the horse. Bandit kindly decided that since the sun was shining he would relax and, OK, be nice for awhile. In grateful response, I quit calling him Shithead for the entire weekend.

Also my shabby gardens were begging for attention. It's easy to grow stuff here. Really, I'd like to say that it grows green and lush like that because I'm a killer gardener. It grows green and lush because it rains and we have great soil. Well, except for the flower beds, where there is mostly blue clay. Bleh.

Yes, in California, even the plants have personalities. I have a rose bush in the front yard named, "Brutus". Catalog said, "lovely pink buds, opening to delicate white, bush 2' - 4' ". RIGHT! You need an axe to keep Brutus at 5 feet! His canes are, ahem, 4" in diameter! And he is grabby as well, never letting you walk past without reaching out for your attention. He does profusely blossom in large white roses, I will give him that.

I do grow several large pots of orchids, Cymbidiums to be more precise. Once again, they mostly grow themselves, but since I carry those heavy suckers to my front porch, I'll take credit, thanks.

|

<< Home

Powered by Blogger