Julie with a B

Wednesday, November 02, 2005
 
More on Alito
I had read a list of some of Alito's cases and realized that of the five I read about I disgreed strongly with three decisions, including his comments about the decision, but that I agreed with two of them. Still wondering what "conservative" actually means in reference to Judge Alito. Because that's the real question isn't it? To what extent will his personal ideology color his decisions?
From the LATimes:
Clark Lombardi, now a law professor at the University of Washington, became a clerk for Alito in 1999.
"I grew up in New York City, and I'm a political independent. But I liked Judge Alito because he was a judicial conservative, someone who believed in judicial restraint and was committed to textualism," he said. "His approach leads to conservative results in some cases and progressive results in other cases. In my opinion, he is a fantastic jurist and a good guy."

There's one description of conservative. Yet, I'm always suspicious of gushingly positive opinions about anyone. Another gush from the same article:
Joel Friedman teaches labor and employment law at Tulane University Law School, but is temporarily at the University of Pittsburgh because of Tulane's shutdown following Hurricane Katrina.
"Ideology aside, I think he is a terrific guy, a terrific choice," said Friedman, a Yale classmate of Alito's. "He is not Harriet Miers; he has unimpeachable credentials. He may disagree with me on many legal issues — I am a Democrat; I didn't vote for Bush. I would not prefer any of the people Bush has appointed up until now.
"The question is, is this guy [Alito] going to be motivated by the end and find a means to get to the end, or is he going to reach an end through thoughtful analysis of all relevant factors? In my judgment, Sam will be the latter."

|

<< Home

Powered by Blogger